What types of information are held on the portal?
The data on this website provides information about publications, people, organisations and outcomes relating to research projects.
The projects details include information about project title, project abstract, duration of the project and the amount awarded.
What is the scope of the data?
The data on this website includes information such as the title, abstract, duration of the project, the amount awarded, the researchers involved and a list of publications produced.
The website does not hold any of the data created or used as part of undertaking the research. Research Councils call this "Research Data".
There are links to the publication texts in the website where available.
The data, published on GtR, is collected from a range of systems used by the funding organisations to collect information from researchers, these include, the Joint electronic Submissions system (Je-S) and ResearchFish. There are some limitations on the data that can be made available from these systems. See data limitations below.
How reliable is the data?
The information within this website is collected as part of the process of awarding and funding research. Information that is created and held by the funding organisations is correct at the time of publication. Information collected from researchers is presumed to have been checked for correctness by the individual researchers entering the data.
What are the data limitations?
Gateway to Research publishes information from a variety of source systems. This information is not transferred to Gateway to Research on a real-time basis and the information is processed against a set of business rules to determine suitability for publication.
Gateway to Research may not exactly reflect the information shown in the source systems.
Other limitations include:
- Static Data: The dataset is currently static, i.e. it is a snapshot of the databases rather than being updated regularly. The infrastructure is being built to refresh all the data in the website on a regular basis, with the exception of Primary Keys relating to Person, Project and Organisation. This will enable consistency for future data access and further analysis.
- Historic Information: All funding organisations have provided information about research they have funded since April 2006; however historic information provided by some funding organisations was not found to be consistently comprehensive and therefore some older projects are not published on GtR. The start and end dates for each project are published in GtR.
- Migration: Migration from the source systems causes some embedded problems that can render the text hard to read, and formatting is lost in some instances. We are working closely with funding organisations to improve this going forward.
- Outcomes: Some projects have no outcomes associated with them. Outcomes from Research Council funded projects are collected through ResearchFish which went live in December 2009.
- Studentships: Studentship information being published on GtR is limited to data submitted against training grants awarded after and including 1 February 2015 The criteria has been based on the revised RCUK training grant terms and conditions which came into effect in February 2015. Completion of outcomes for projects starting prior to this was not mandatory for all Research Councils. Recently started projects will not yet have generated outcomes. Research Councils are working on ways to improve compliance and improve the quality and scope of outcomes data.
How do I find out more about the data?
The information within the website is described in the data dictionary here.
How do I report "incorrect" data?
It is not possible to change information directly on Gateway to Research. Changes should be made or requested through the usual channels for each system.
For any other queries please use the relevant link on the contact us page.
Research often leads to valuable Intellectual Property, an RCUK statement in intellectual property ownership can be found here